The Ballet Companion: A Dancer's Guide to the Technique, Traditions and Joys of Ballet
Author(s): Eliza Gaynor Minden
A New Classic for Today's Dancer
The Ballet Companion is a fresh, comprehensive, and thoroughly up-to-date reference book for the dancer. With 150 stunning photographs of ballet stars Maria Riccetto and Benjamin Millepied demonstrating perfect execution of positions and steps, this elegant volume brims with everything today's dance student needs, including:
- Practical advice for getting started, such as selecting a school, making the most of class, and studio etiquette
- Explanations of ballet fundamentals and major training systems
- An illustrated guide through ballet class -- warm-up, barre, and center floor
- Guidelines for safe, healthy dancing through a sensible diet, injury prevention, and cross-training with yoga and Pilates
- Descriptions of must-see ballets and glossaries of dance, music, and theater terms
Along the way you'll find technique secrets from stars of American Ballet Theatre, lavishly illustrated sidebars on ballet history, and tips on everything from styling a ballet bun to stage makeup to performing the perfect pirouette.
Whether a budding ballerina, serious student, or adult returning to ballet, dancers will find a lively mix of ballet's time-honored traditions and essential new information.
""The Ballet Companion" is exactly that, a companion for dancers wishing to expand their knowledge of the art form and its ever-changing yet lasting community."
-- Lourdes Lopez, former principal dancer, New York City Ballet
- : 9780743264075
- : TOUCHSTONE
- : TOUCHSTONE
- : 1.114
- : October 2005
- : 234mm X 153mm X 29mm
- : books
- : Hardback
- : 352
- : Illustrations (some col.)